Monday 9 July 2012

Strawberries, S'mores, Hiking Trails and a Yankee Hat. Hiking and Camping 2012.



Have you ever had a weekend that when it ends, you want to press rewind and do it all over again? That’s the kind of weekend I just had.  I crossed off 2 of the items on my list.  Hike Cape Chignecto (#23) and go camping in a tent (#13).  

#13 Go Camping in a Tent.
I have to shout out to Brian on this one. He cooked, cleaned, made the fire, put up the tent, washed the dishes, drove and added a lot of knowledge to camping and the area.  I learned so much about the Bay of Fundy, the hiking trails, beaches, lighthouses, wharfs, restaurants, markets, towns etc… and a lot about the rocks, fossils, beaches and the geology of Nova Scotia.  This trip was so interesting. 

The trip started off by getting food at the Masstown Market including the world’s best strawberries.  Parrsboro also has a Masstown Market satellite store, good to know if you are ever camping nearby.

I also have to mention the awesome service we received at the Five Islands Provincial Park. Diane checked us in, we were booked for site #33 but she suggested a different site and let us drive around the campground to see the sites.  We ended up back at the check-in booth switching over to the site she recommended.  It warms my heart that a tourist might receive the same kind greeting and service.  In my head she won the pineapple award for my weekend because we had the best site.

My camping skills need some fine tuning, mostly when I have slight panic attacks when I’m too hot, too dirty and smell like a mixture of bug spray and sunscreen.  PS. The two together turn your skin yellow. 

I would definitely camp again.  If you ever find yourself on the Fundy Shore, stop at Masstown for strawberries, the Wild Caraway for supper and Granny’s Ice Cream stand for your ice cream fix on a hot day.

#23 Hike Cape Chignecto
This is an under-marketed area in Nova Scotia. The views and trails are at par or better than any other parts of the province.  We hiked in from the Eatonville day-use parking lot, and saw more than just the famous Three Sisters.  The views of Eatonville Harbour, the rock formations and stacks, the water and the Three Sisters were breathtaking.  Eating lunch with that view is unbeatable.  During our hike we didn’t pass another person, and it was early July, peak season, beautiful sunny day…. and not one other person was down at the Three Sisters.  I hope everyone gets a chance to enjoy this park.   I’ve always wanted to hike Cape Chignecto, but I never expected to love it so much. 
   
On our drive down to the park, there was a beautiful beach with amazing rocks, water, views and sand.   Taking your flipflops off, leaving them near the water and walking the length of the beach isn’t smart in the Bay of Fundy.  With the highest tides in the world, I almost lost them.  What dramatic tidal differences in all areas.  I can’t wait to go back and explore even more.

If anyone wants to explore this area, just let me know and I’ll gladly help you with your trip.  My favorite view was at the Five Islands Lighthouse. You can climb to the top and see all 5 islands. Plus people who know me well, know my love for lighthouses.   

No comments:

Post a Comment